Monday, July 27, 2009

Further along than it looks...

Well, the plasterer did his thing all day Friday (I am assuming, since I was at work and he was here) and the plastering is finished and sanded. Boy is it sanded!! There was plaster dust over everything. What a mess. But at least it's done and ready for the electrician and paint. It doesn't look like much, but Bill the Builder and I worked all weekend, cleaning and sorting and cleaning and throwing out and cleaning....

Not sure when the electrician is coming. Hopefully this week. Bill the Builder has cut out for power points and it's all ready to go. What a nightmare job it all was and with very little to see for it.
The next thing I want to do is measure everything. One of the reasons I started this blog is that I searched the net for ideas for setting up a room like this and couldn't find anything useful. I will do a floor plan of everything I want to do in this room, with measurements of the room and measurements of what I need to fit in here.
I want to be able to quilt on the doover without banging my hip on the cutting table and I want to be able to use my hot glue gun without getting third degree burns. Well, I'll probably still get third degree burns but I want it to be because I am careless and not because of lack of useable facilities. Yes, there is a difference.
Here's what I want to put in there: my quilting doover and be able to use it with ease, a cutting table that I can walk all the way round and will take a quilt that will fit on the doover, my embroidery machine with room to set up the pattern on one side and all the cottons on the other side, my sewing machine with room to put the pieces on one side and the finished blocks on the other side, my ironing board and iron close to the sewing machine, my fabric cupboards, plenty of book shelves, a rod to hold my roll of batting, my design wall (thank you Miss Lynda), enough bench space to do scrap booking and card making, something workable to hold all my embroidery discs as well as paper patterns including pattern books but separate to all my magazines and some kind of rod system to hold all my 2 1/2" strips (because I have become obsessed with 2 1/2" squares but that might pass soon because of the quilt centre I have just finished for my gorgeous DIL), proper storage for WIPs including tops that are yet to be quilted.
I'm still getting my head around everything that I actually want in there. I want to get it as right as I can first time round and if anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. I am thinking that tomorrow I will shove everything out of the way so that I can quilt a top I've made for my daughter's friend. Did I mention that I've four quilts to be finished for handover by the end of September? for a glass of red to soothe my shattered nerves!


  1. Seems to me that after you've measured everything, you need to get hold of a CAD package so that you can draw up various scenarios for your new room. Then you can work on your gantt chart to organise finishing off your quilts.

    Love from your ever-helpful friend

  2. I think it would be easier to move everything out of the house and into the shed....that should give you enough room! At this point I have the doover on the landing - I have plans for taking over the attic but not sure if that will ever happen....I think there are renos to the rest of the house that may be first in line!

  3. No ideas from here .... I am trying to get my head around everything that you want in there.

  4. My thoughts are with Lorraine. Move out, take up residence in the new room. So much less houesework so more time for stitching. Heaps more room for all the fabric and stuff that is so necessary